High School Summer Program in Greece 2017
|August 22, 2017||Posted by Moderator under CHS Greece Programs & Events|
On Saturday, July 22 the sixth iteration of the High School Summer Program (HSSP 2017) came to an end. Nicolas Prevelakis (Harvard and CHS), Director of the Program, Kevin Caffrey, Lecturer in Harvard’s Committee on Degrees in Social Studies, Tomer Perry, Research Associate at Harvard’s Edmond J. Safra Center for Ethics, and the four Teaching Fellows, Harvard undergraduate students, Brian Cami, Thomas Elliott, Allison Toledo and Kate Yoon worked intensively with the 18 participating high school students for 15 days. The selected students were emerged in an educational environment based on Harvard University’s respective summer school standards, and participated, beyond the fixed educational activities of the program, in a multitude of other lectures and innovative activities, organized to offer as many stimuli possible to participants:
– were informed about educational opportunities in US institutions of higher education by Nicholas Tourides, Educational Advisor and American Program Coordinator for the Fulbright Foundation in Greece,
– attended lectures by Don Tontiplathol, lecturer in Harvard’s Committee on Degrees in Social Studies, who visited the Program, and by Tomer Perry, who also contributed to the development of this year’s curriculum,
– participated in group activities, simulation games and discussions organized for them by the Teaching Fellows,
– attended a lecture and discussed with Stelios Virvidakis, Professor of Philosophy at the Department of History and Philosophy of Science of the University of Athens,
– spoke with professors at Harvard’s Committee on Degrees in Social Studies via teleconference,
– volunteered with the cleaning of the Arvanitia path as part of an agreement with the local community,
– watched documentaries on the issue of immigration,
– performed a simulation of a European Union summit focused on immigration policy.
A final plenary session took place on July 21 and was open to the High School Summer Program Alumni. The program was successfully completed after its evaluation by the participants. Preparation for the program’s next iteration will begin soon.
The Center for Hellenic Studies is pleased to share images of the 2017 team on the CHS GR Facebook page:
Μαθητές Λυκείου, όλων των κατευθύνσεων, έχουν την ευκαιρία να παρακολουθήσουν για δυόμιση εβδομάδες το εντατικό, καθημε…
The Center extends a warm thank you to all faculty and visiting professors, Harvard students who did their best as Teaching Fellows, and participating students. We thank the Municipality of Nafplio for the cooperation in the volunteer activities of the program and the provision of all necessary material, as well as the Fulbright Foundation in Greece for the informative meeting with the participants. We also thank the Regional Directorate of Secondary Education of the Argolid, as well as the Principals and teachers of all High Schools in the prefecture and the Arsakeia Schools in Ekali for their full support in informing the students and writing the letters of recommendation.